Donuts

Donuts
From Trigun

Friday, February 1, 2008

Great and Terrible Beauty

Great and Terrible Beauty, this is the book I just finished reading. It was an enjoyable book. It was one that I had difficulty putting down. Libba Bray certainly did her work when recreating the historical time period. She weaves magic into a rather bleak world for women who have resigned themselves to live by the rules set by their male counterparts. Bray manages to grab the essence of what it is like to be a 17 year old. The emotional driven desires paint and move the story forward as it colors the actions of the girls in the story. Though I found predictability to the story in places, it did not detract from the work. It is certainly worth reading.

Earlier today, I wrote a message about chapters of a person’s life ending to open to a new one. Here is a quote that so aptly suits my previous posting.

“…Dans chaque din, il y a un debut.”
My translation skills aren’t quite up to this one. “In the end, also, is a debutante?”
Mademoiselle LeFarge shakes her head, “In every end, there is also a beginning.”

I believe this is a very fitting quote for this day of reflection.

No comments: